Wednesday, January 19, 2011

HUM DE DUM.

So You Want to Be a Picture Book Illustrator . . .

Children's picture books make extensive use of quality illustrations. Whilst the financial rewards for picture book illustrators are not always as great as the rewards in advertising and other forms of commercial art, the personal satisfaction is often much greater.

Direct from the Scholastic 'corporate' division. I'm sure personal satisfaction will feed my staving family and pay for the heating bills this coming winter.

I wouldn't mind doing kids books. If you're an avid reader of this blog (I know there are SO many of you) you know I absolute hate the state picture books are in today.
I remember a book from when I was in 1st grade, it was basically an acid adventure trip book where you'd go down a mystical sewer system and the directive was to look for say, 5 golden hooks, 10 white rats etc. in each new area which was every double page spread- that's all I remember - but the art if I actually genuinely have any sense of memory, was brilliant.

What happened to those days.

Additionally, I didn't realise that Puffin books and Penguin books were under the same company. Y'know, because I completely disregarded the fact that their logos are basically exactly the same in every way, shape and form.
On a related note, 1. Quite possibly the longest 'about us' page ever, and 2. 1968 logo design - what.

I look around at todays 'graphic designer' portfolios and all I see is this web 2.0 shit. Seriously? Fuck me. Web 2.0 is so 2004. I mean, come on. Stop this shiny, 'light weight, thin text, illumination' shit.
It's so bad. HNNNNNGGGGGH. Dependancies on TEXT?
GRAPHICS DESIGN =\= 100% TYPOGRAPHY, GET YOUR SHIT STRAIGHT. I DON'T NEED TO WASTE THE NEXT 4 YEARS IN A SHITTY CLASS TO UNDERSTAND THAT.

1 comment:

genvinout said...

LOL HOLY SHIT YOU'RE RIGHT THEY ARE THE SAME